In preparing for a class on PowerPoint 2007, I ran across a little tutorial on YouTube outlining how to embed a YouTube video in a PowerPoint 2007 presentation. Unfortunately, the audio in the tutorial is really poor, so I thought I’d list the steps here and create a Captivate animation for it as well.
To embed a YouTube video in PowerPoint 2007 follow these simple steps:
- First turn on the Developer Tab on the Ribbon by clicking on the Microsoft logo at the top left of the window and selecting PowerPoint Options all the way at the bottom of the menu. Next put a check next to the unchecked item to show the Developer Tab
- Go to YouTube and select a video to embed
- Copy the URL
- On the Developer menu choose “More Controls”
- Select Shockwave Flash Object
- Click and drag on the PowerPoint slide to add the Flash object
- Right Click the object placeholder and select properties
- Set the Movie property to the URL you copied
- In the URL delete “watch?” and change the “=” sign to a ⁄
- Adjust the options for Looping or AutoPlay if desired
Make sure to test the presentation and keep in mind that the video is streaming from YouTube, so an Internet connection is required at the time of presentation.